Most women are unhappy with some aspect of their
looks, and think they are too short or too wide. Luckily we can choose
clothes to create the illusion of height and slimness. All it takes is
knowing what works for your body.
Here are 10 tips for looking taller and slimmer:
Create a slim line. To create a slim silhouette, wear two colors at the
most. If you are wearing a suit with pants or a skirt, choose a jacket
and skirt of the same color - navy for example. Then add a sweater or
blouse of a different color underneath. Or, wear a sweater and pants in
navy, and add a different color jacket, in red, burgundy or grey,
depending on your coloring and preferences.
2. Watch the
horizontal lines. Where does your jacket end? If it ends at the widest
part of your hips, it will draw the eye there, and your hips will look
wider. Horizontal lines in your jacket and skirt should end at your
3. Stay away from billowing fabrics in skirts and pants. Stick to fabrics with more body and shape.
Empire waists: this popular style is only for the very young and slim.
For most women, it makes people wonder if you are pregnant.
5. Heels: you don't need high heels, but a small heel adds a bit of height, and slims your look. Avoid pancake flats
Midline vertical details add height. For example, a row of vertical
buttons leads the eye up and down, but a row of horizontal buttons
draws the eye from side to side, making you appear shorter and wider.
7. Necklines: A v-neck creates a longer neckline, and adds height.
8. Straight pants without cuffs add height. Cuffs cut your legs and make them appear shorter.
9. Single-breasted jackets are more slimming than double-breasted jackets, which have too much fabric.
10. Avoid ankle strap shoes and boots, which cut your foot or leg and make it look shorter.